Comfort Food Friday: Whip up Jamie Oliver’s butternut squash curry – Press and Journal
What screams comfort food more than a curry?
Since butternut squash is in season right now, this recipe from Jamie Oliver is definitely one to add to your repertoire.
Combining a lot of traditional curry ingredients, this recipe is from the celebrity chef’s new cookbook, Together, which is designed to make family cooking doable and fun.
It’s also a dish that will keep both meat eaters and vegetarians happy.
The recipe will serve eight, which could leave plenty for you to enjoy for lunch the next day.
Take a look at our other Comfort Food Friday recipes for more tasty ideas.
Jamie Oliver’s fragrant squash curry with chickpeas, ginger, spices and coconut milk
- 1 butternut squash (1.2kg)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 4cm piece of ginger
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp fenugreek seeds
- 1 tsp medium curry powder
- 300g ripe cherry tomatoes
- 2 tinned pineapple rings in juice
- 400ml light coconut milk
- 400g tin of chickpeas
- 2 sprigs of coriander (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180C Fan/200C/ 400F/Gas Mark 6. Scrub the squash (there’s no need to peel it), carefully halve it lengthways and deseed, then chop into 2cm chunks.
- Place in a roasting tray, toss with the olive oil and a pinch of sea salt and black pepper, then roast for one hour, or until soft and caramelised.
- Meanwhile, peel and roughly chop the onion, peel the garlic and ginger, and dry fry in a non-stick frying pan on a medium-high heat with the coriander and fenugreek seeds and the curry powder, stirring until lightly charred all over.
- Add the tomatoes and pineapple rings (reserving the juice), and cook for 10 minutes to soften and char, stirring regularly. Tip it all into a blender, add the coconut milk and blitz until smooth.
- Return to the pan, tip in the chickpeas, juice and all, and simmer gently until the sauce is thickened.
- Stir in the roasted squash, then season, tasting and tweaking, and loosening with the pineapple juice. Cool, cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 150C Fan/170C/325F/Gas Mark 3.
- Place the covered pan of curry in the oven until hot through – about one hour.
Recipe from Together by Jamie Oliver, published by Penguin Random House © Jamie Oliver Enterprises Limited (2021 Together), £26. Photography by David Loftus.
For more in this series…