When does a dish become a recipe? I wonder this every time someone asks me for the recipe for my southern squash and onions. Yellow squash cooked until soft with onions and lots of butter and pepper is a southern staple and something I grew up eating on a regular basis – no recipe needed. But I can see if you’ve never eaten it, you would need a roadmap on how to prepare it.
And here’s the roadmap, though my squash and
onions recipe has as twist, using yellow squash and zucchini. (If you want it full-out southern, use only yellow.) This is not a crisp-tender vegetable recipe – the squash is cooked until soft. Just be careful not to cook it too long where it starts falling apart. Season with lots of black pepper and add as much butter as you’d like. (My grandma was not stingy with the butter!)
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
- 2 yellow crookneck squash, cut into rounds
- 2 zucchini squash, cut into rounds
- 1 onion, sliced
- 4 tablespoons butter, or to taste
Here’s how to make it:
- Put about 1/4 cup of water into a frying pan over medium heat. Add the squash and onions. Cook, stirring often, until squash and onions are soft, but not falling apart, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add the butter. Season with salt and lots of black pepper (or to taste). Cook about 1 more minute.
Need help converting cooking and baking measurements? Here are some handy kitchen conversion charts.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community and follow us on Facebook to get recipes in your newsfeed daily. Inspire and be inspired.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.